Indian Steam Railway Society (ISRS) was formed on October 23rd, 1999 when a group of like-minded people met and discussed the present position and future possibilities regarding the preservation of Indian Steam locomotives. Subsequently, a formal non-profit Society was formed and it has been registered with the Registrar of Societies, Delhi. The current President of the society is Mr. R S Virdi, who retired as General Manager of the North East Frontier Railway zone of the Indian Railways. Mark Tully is the Vice-president, Ashwani Lohani the Working President, G Shankar the Secretary and Dileep Prakash the Joint Secretary. P.J. Singh is the Treasurer and J L Singh the Editor of the Journal of the Society. Other members of the managing committee are Arun Mohan, Bill Aitken and Ravindra Gupta. The objective of the Society is to form a common platform for the Indian Steam Railway Enthusiasts to exchange views and further their knowledge on the subject of Indian Steam Railway. The Society will make representations to the Indian Railway Board for more and more tourist special trains hauled by steam locomotives in the near future.
Objectives of the Society are:
- Promote interest in and share the knowledge of the Indian Railways steam heritage and current developments amongst Steam Railway Enthusiasts by bringing them on a common platform.
- Stimulate public affection by intelligent exposure of the Steam Railway’s contribution to the development of the Nation.
- Create awareness of the excellence of the Indian Steam Railways Works and highlight the need for their preservation in the interest of science and technology facilitating transport and tourism.
- Organize regular meetings, debates, seminars, competitions and quizzes for the members and the public to exchange and further disseminate information on Steam Railways.
- Assist in preservation and revival of the remaining heritage of railways run on steam in India and to promote Steam Heritage Tourism.
- Participate in fund raising activities consistent with the aims.
- Preserve a working steam heritage for the future generation to enjoy.
ISRS members meet on the second Sunday of every month at the National Rail Museum, New Delhi. Besides this, the society also organizes an annual event, the National Steam Congress sometime during the winter months. The last Congress, the 16th, was held on the 17th and 18th of November 2018.
Registered office of the Society is W-148, Greater Kailash – 1, New Delhi-110048
Meetings of the society take place at:
National Rail Museum, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi- 110021