Indian Steam Railway Society
Indian Steam Railway Society (ISRS) was formed on October 23rd 1999, when a group of like minded people met and discussed the present position and future possibilities regarding the preservation of Indian Steam Locomotives. Subsequently, a formal non profit society was formed and it has been registered with the Register of Societies, Delhi. the current President of the Society is Mr. R S Virdi, who retired as General Manager of the North East Frontier Railway zone of the Indian Railways. Mark Tully is the Vice-President, Ashwani Lohani the Working President, G Shankar the Secretory and Dileep Prakash the Joint Secretory, P J Singh is the Treasurer and J L Singh the Editor of the Journal of the Society. The other members of the managing committee are Arun Mohan, Bill Aitken and Ravindra Gupta. The objective of the Society is to form a common platform for the India Steam Railway Enthusiasts to exchange views and further their knowledge on the subjects of Indian Steam Railway. The Society will make representations to the Indian Railway Board for more and more tourist special trains hauled by steam locomotives in the near future.
- Promote interest in and share the knowledge of the Indian Railway steam heritage and current development amongst Steam Railway Enthusiasts by bringing them on a common platform.
- Stimulate public affection by intelligent exposure of the Steam Railway’s contribution to the development of the Nation.
- Create awareness of the excellence of the Indian Steam Railway Works and highlight the need for their preservation in the interest of science and technology facilitating transport and tourism.
- Organize regular meeting, debates, seminars, competition and quizzes for the member and the public to exchange and further disseminate information on steam Railway.
- Assist in preservation and revival of the remaining heritage of railways run on steam in India and to promote steam Heritage Tourism.
- Participate in fund raising activities Consistent with the aims.
- Preserve a working steam heritage for the future generation to enjoy.
Explore And Learn
XVth. National Congress on Dec. 2nd. 2017. We had an excellent Congress this year and I would like to thank…
As part of the XIII National Steam Congress, a special run by a steam hauled train from Delhi to Rewari…
The Indian Steam Railway Society (ISRS) organised and conducted the XIII National Steam Congress for the year 2015-16 in a…
XIV Steam Congress is being held at the National Rail Museum on the 19th of November at 9.30 hrs. The…